Kremlin Tower Clock
Spasskaya (Saviour) Tower, Kremlin
Moscow, Moscow City, Russian Federation
|Builder:||N. and P. Butenop|
|Model / Serial:||/|
(XVI the first & in 1625 changed by a chiming clock made by the English master Christopher Halloway)
|Movement:||Huge Plate and Pillar.|
One on each wall of the tower, 6.12m each one. The minute hand is 3.28 metres & the hour hand is 2.97 meters. Each number is 72 cms.
Carillon (Other Chimes)
An incredible carillon (25 tons). It sounds its ten quarter bells every quarter.
|History:||The 67.3 m (230 ft) high Saviour Tower is the most magnificent of the Kremlin towers, the very symbol and emblem of Moscow. From time immemorial it has been the principal entrance to the Kremlin. The tower, like its two neighbors to the north, was built in 1491 by the Italian architect Pietro Antonio Solari. The first clock was set into the tower in the 16th century. In 1624-1625 it was replaced by a chiming clock, made by the English master Christopher Halloway. Subsequently, the clock's mechanism has been changed repeatedly. The clock and carillon that adorn the tower today were made in 1851-1852 by the brothers N. and P. Butenop; who used various parts of the older clock. The gigantic mechanism (about 25 tons) of the carillon occupies three storeys of the tower. Until the October Revolution the carillon played the Tsarist National Anthem ("God save the Tsar..."), and between 1917 and 1941 it played the "Internationale". The clock now chimes every quarter of an hour with the melodious sound of its nine quarter bells and booms on the hour with its big hour bell weighing 2,160 kg. Until August 1996, the clock stroke the hours and played short "Malinovksie" chimes. At noon on August 5th 1996, the clock played the modern Russian National Anthem as part of the Presidential Inauguration; and the Anthem is played every day at noon ever since.|
These people did the last restoration:
Also THANKS to Nick Lerescu for these photos!